Call Now: (858) 509-9101

High Scores, High Aspirations… High Bluff Academy

SDUHSD Policy on Off-Campus Classes


San Dieguito Union High School District has changed its policy for students taking courses at HBA and other private schools. We wanted to explain how this may affect students wanting to take our courses. Please see your high school counselor for approval before enrolling in our classes if you would like to transfer the credit.
1. Students will still be able to take three classes (30 units)  off-campus to be transferred to their school transcript and used toward high school graduation requirements.
2. Only one class per subject area can be transferred. So only Biology or Chemistry, not both. There may be some flexibility for individuals with special circumstances. 
Since the district only requires two years of science to graduate (one life science, one physical science) students can take one science class at their public school and one or more classes at HBA.
For students who struggle with science, Earth & Space and Marine Biology at TP will fulfill graduation requirements and Biology and Chemistry can be taken at HBA and sent to the colleges on our transcript.
Three years of math are required for graduation. Students must only pass Integrated Math 1.  
Students who struggle with math can take Math 1 Readiness at TP, Math 1 at HBA, and Business Math at TP.  Then they can continue with Math 2 and Math 3 at HBA.
Since foreign language is not a requirement for high school graduation, all Spanish classes can be taken at HBA.
3. Remediation a failing grade.
When remediating a D or F outside the district, the school will put both grades on the transcript and therefore they will be averaged in the GPA. 
Most colleges, however, will take the higher grade and recalculate the GPA.
From the U.C. Website:
“For freshman applicants, if the same (or very similar in content) course in which a D or F grade was originally earned is repeated and a grade of C or better is earned, the original grade will not be included in the GPA calculation.” 
California State Colleges follow the same policy: 

The CSU application instructs students to “Enter only information for the course in which you received the higher grade.”

NCAA will also take the highest grade in calculating GPA.
For all other colleges, please refer to their websites.
If you have any questions, please ask your public school counselor.